Educational research has identified that children from low income or disadvantaged backgrounds make less progress than their more affluent peers. The economic impact of Covid-19 and the effect of partial school closures has increased any gaps in attainment between disadvantaged and non – disadvantaged students. As a result the Government now provides additional funding (a premium) to schools designed specifically to support these children and to ensure that students of all abilities have the same opportunities to learn.
Pupils eligible for the Pupil Premium include:
- Pupils who are (or were) registered for free school meals (FSM) within the last six years
- Pupils who are or have been looked after by the local authority
- Children of service personnel.
Lytchett Minster has 321 pupils entitled to Pupil Premium funding in the academic year 2021 to 2022. For this period the school will receive a total of £309,605. This sum includes funding for Pupil Premium Grant, Recovery Premium and School Led Tutoring. Further details can be found in our strategy statement attached to this web page. The majority of funding was spent as follows:
- Ensuring high quality teaching supports Pupil Premium students
- Providing a tailored KS4 curriculum for some
- Providing Literacy and Numeracy support
- Providing one-to-one or small group support in English and Maths
- Supporting various parental requests including the provision of laptops where needed
- Targeting absence of Pupil Premium students
The aim of this funding is to “close the gap” in attainment between Pupil Premium funded children and those who are not funded. Whilst we monitor the progress of these pupils carefully it is clearly not possible to outline here the support each individual has received. Systems are in place to support all pupils who need extra help, regardless of whether they are entitled to funding or not and Lytchett Minster is committed to closing any significant gaps in attainment between one group of students and the next.
Support provided for parents is detailed in our Pupil Premium leaflet also available on the website.