What are the aims of the course?
In today's global economy, companies dealing with international markets are increasingly demanding better language skills of their workforce. Learning a Modern Foreign Language is a skill for life, which will enhance both communication skills and employment prospects.
Many of the skills taught will help students to gain an insight into other countries and cultures and well as improving their own literacy skills by teaching techniques required to access and understand language.
What is the content of the course?
Identity and culture
- Me, my family and friends
- Free-time activities
- Customs in Spanish-speaking countries / communities
Local, national, international and global areas of interest
- Home, town, neighbourhood and region
- Travel & tourism
- Comparing Spanish and English schools
- School rules
- Getting the best out of school
Future aspirations, study and work
- Discussing career choices
- Plans, hope and wishes
- Applying for jobs
International and global dimension
- Discussing problems facing the planet
- Protecting the environment
- Fair trade
- Spanish text book
- The Language assistant: 1 hour per week per class
- Sam Learning
- Authentic material
How will it be assessed?
One exam in the four skills at the end of year 11: Listening, Reading, Speaking and Writing.
What is expected of me?
- Learn vocabulary and grammar carefully.
- Participate as fully as possible in oral work (this helps to develop all the other skills)
- Think communication
- Extend your range of grammatical structures as often as possible.
- One hour of homework a week.
You will have the opportunity to work with Year 6 on transition days.
Studying a language at GCSE will enable you to access a wide range of jobs in business, marketing, tourism and sales in our busy global market.