Educational research has identified a gap in achievement between disadvantaged pupils and their peers. As a result, the government now provides additional funding (a premium) to schools designed specifically to support these children and to ensure that students of all abilities have the same opportunities to learn.
Pupils eligible for the pupil premium include:
- Pupils who are (or were) registered for free school meals (FSM) within the last six years
- Pupils who are or have been looked after by the local authority
- Children of service personnel.
Lytchett Minster had 296 pupils entitled to Pupil Premium funding in the academic year 2017-2018. For this period, the school received a total of £237,523. Further details can be found in our strategy statement. The majority of funding was spent as follows:
- Ensuring high quality teaching supports Pupil Premium students
- Providing a tailored KS4 curriculum
- Providing Literacy and Numeracy support
- Providing one-to-one or small group support in English and Maths
- Supporting various parental requests
The aim of this funding is to "close the gap" between Pupil Premium-funded children and those who are not funded. Whilst we monitor the progress of these pupils carefully, it is clearly not possible to outline here the support each individual has received. Systems are in place to support all pupils who need extra help, regardless of whether they are entitled to funding or not and Lytchett Minster is committed to closing any significant gaps in attainment between one group of students and the next.
The gap in attainment is measured through Progress 8 and Attainment 8. In 2018, our Progress 8 figure for Pupil Premium students was -0.11; our Attainment 8 figure for 2018 was 40. In 2017, our Progress 8 figure for Pupil Premium students was -0.27; our Attainment 8 figure for 2017 was 50.57.
From September 2018, Lytchett Minster has 316 pupils entitled to Pupil Premium funding. For further details of funding and our planned strategy please see the strategy statement.
Support provided for parents is detailed in the Pupil Premium leaflet which is issued during our new parents' evening.